Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Apple Cake















I spent this past weekend at my mom's, doing laundry and making use of her spacious kitchen. I'm always pretty envious of her kitchen and its appliances because I have the tiniest kitchen known to man. I have absolutely no counter top space; almost everything I prepare has to be done on my kitchen table. Did I mention my kitchen table isn't even a real kitchen table? It was a model dining set Dave inherited when he first moved out on his own. And, it's tiny. Really tiny.

Needless to say, when my mother asked me to bake for her, I seized the opportunity to cook in what I deem a 'real kitchen'. My baking endeavors were mainly brought on by the question: "What fruit do I have that's about to go bad?" Answers: apples and bananas. So, I made my mother my favorite recipe for banana bread, and now it's her favorite, too!

The second dessert I made, using the aforementioned apples was apple cake. We found this recipe scribbled inside the cover of one my great grandmothers old cook books. Being that my great grandmother is pretty critical when it comes to food and cooking, I was proud that I was able to veganize her recipe. It was was fan-freakin'-tastic. I'll post the recipe sometime in the near future, I just can't remember it off the top of my head.

1 comment: