Thursday, June 30, 2011

Tofu Cookery: Teriyake Tofu


When I was in Seattle I had the pleasure of going to a bookstore called Twice Told Tales in Capitol Hill. This place ruled. While there I purchased The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition for $1 (and it actually worked) and Tofu Cookery by Louise Hagler for $3. I had been interested in this cook and wanting desperately to locate a copy ever since Isa posted about it on the PPK. She did a few posts on cook books that she had been influenced by (one of which, I ended up getting for Xmas) and this had been one of them. It was first published in 1982 and reminds me so much of all the older cook books my mom had handed down to her by my grandmothers. My copy shows signs of loving from previous owners, and I look forward to cooking more recipes from it. The delivery of the recipes is totally old school; it lists the ingredients with the steps, perhaps to avoid confusion or to appease the cook who refuses to read the recipe in its entirety before diving into the cooking aspect of a recipe.

Teriyaki Tofu
from Tofu Cookery
 
Cut into 1/2 " slices:
2 lbs tofu

Make a marinade of:
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp honey (I used agave, duh!)
2 tbsp fresh ginger root, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
1 medium onion, diced small

Let tofu slices stand in marinade for 2 hours. Drain and reserve marinade. Dip tofu slices in a mixture of:
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Brown floured slices in 1/4 cup oil, adding more as necessary. Reduce heat, pour in reserved marinade and simmer for 10 minutes.

Per serving: Calories: 246, Protein: 12 g, Fat: 16 g, Carbohydrates: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment