Monday, June 6, 2011

My garden brings all the boys to the yard...

And damn right, it's better than yours. Well, maybe not. I live on the second floor of a duplex. My backyard is a shared space where tons of neighborhood cats and dogs track through all day, err day. I would've like to have a full fledged garden this year, but that would simply be out of the question. Luckily Ty's parents bought him two earth boxes for his birthday! We are currently growing collard greens, turnip greens, peas, kohlrabi, and spaghetti squash. We think something might be sprouting up from our previous neighbors garden they planted last year. If our calculations are correct, it would be summer squash. And that would be fantastic.

Peas and kohlrabi

















Mah greens is 'splodin!


A single baby tomato






















We are also about to plant some windowsill herbs. One day while I was watching the Food Network, Sandra Lee gave me a great idea. Plant your herbs in empty soup cans! Now, it's a little too hot outside to be eating soup. Plus, most canned soups have mushy contents and too much sodium. However, it's not too hot to drink. Ty and I have accumulated quite a few beer cans this year and have a nice little recycling system in full swing. We're planting some beer can windowsill herbs this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment