Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Vegan MoFo: Dill & Mint "Chicken" Salad with Grape Tomatoes


I got the idea for this dish when I glanced through an issue of Simply Delicious. I found a recipe for Chicken Salad with Pear Tomatoes and Tarragon. I was intrigued with the lack of mayonnaise in this chicken salad, vegan or not.
As a youngin' the only parts of a standard chicken salad I didn't enjoy were the grapes, typically added for sweetness. I tended to want a more savory salad. This recipe subs grapes for tomatoes, which reserves some sweetness but in a savory way. I used grape tomatoes instead of pear ones; clever, I know.

I also subbed dried mint for tarragon. For one thing, I have never cooked with tarragon and am not really all that familiar with its flavor. I've heard it has a licorice taste. Bleh. I thought mint would pair nicely with the tomatoes and poultry spices.
"Chicken" Salad with Grape Tomatoes and Mint

1 1/2 cup TVP chunks
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbs Bragg's liquid aminos
2 tsp nutritional yeast
1/2 pint grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 large bunches scallions, sliced, white parts included
2 tsp dried mint, crushed between your fingers
1 tsp dried dill

Some thoughts: This salad would go wonderfully over a spinach salad. I know firsthand. Also, you could try blending it briefly in a food processor.

No comments:

Post a Comment