Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ultimate Chili and Maple Cornbread Muffins


I know, I know. Another vegan chili recipe? I mean, cuh-mon. Chili, alongside tofu scramble, is one of the first dishes every vegan makes. Also like a tofu scramble recipe, it evolves constantly, to fit the preference of the ever-changing vegan who is creating it. Posting recipes for these things are often viewed as tedious and unnecessary

How many chili recipes does a vegan need anyhow. Just one- this one. I found it in one of my old issues of Vegetarian Times that I have laying in a stack in my kitchen. I've been on a soup kick lately and hearty chili seemed perfect for the fall weather. I almost can't wait for winter.

Ultimate Vegan Chili from Vegetarian Times

2 tbs olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, drained and minced*
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
2 8 oz packages seitan, chopped
3 tbs tomato paste
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp celery salt
3 15 oz cans chili beans, such as black, kidney, pinto, etc.
2-3 large carrots, chopped
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs vegan Worcestershire sauce

Heat oil in Dutch oven (whatever, I used a large soup pot. pretentious arseholes.) over medium-high heat. Add onion, and saute 7 to 10 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring often. Add garlic and chipotle chile, and saute i minute more. Stir in mushrooms; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add seitan. tomato paste, paprika, oregano, chili powder, celery salt, and 1 cup water; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add beans, carrots, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 1 hour, or until carrots are tender.

Maple Cornbread Muffins from Vegetarian Times

1 cup plain soy milk
1/4 cup non-hydrogenated vegan margarine, melted
2 tbs maple syrup
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed

Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Whisk together soy milk, margarine, maple syrup, and vinegar in a bowl. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in separate bowl. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture. Fold in corn kernels.

Divide batter among prepared muffin cups, and bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into muffins comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then unmold, and serve warm.

*I couldn't find chipotle chiles in adobo sauce at my local grocery store, or anywhere at all really. I got regular diced green chiles in a can and threw in some chipotle chili powder when I sauteed them. It tasted wonderful and was, I'm sure, a cheaper alternative.


No comments:

Post a Comment