Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Shepard's Pie















This was my first time cooking/eating shepard's pie, vegan or otherwise. I had no idea what I was missing out on. It is simply the perfect comfort food. In preparation for this meal, I had skimmed through various shepard's pie recipes on the interwebz. This recipe is an adaptation of on I found on VegWeb and from It Ain't Meat Babe. Enjoy!

Loaded Shepard's Pie
5 russet potatoes
1/2 red onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, sliced or shredded
1 bunch of kale, chopped
4 oz. mushrooms, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp basil
1 cup Morning Star crumbles or TVP
3/4 soy milk
1tsp cornstarch
1 tsp flour
1 tbs nutritional yeast
salt and pepper, to taste

Wash, peel, and boil potatoes, as you normally would mashed potatoes. While potatoes are boiling, saute onion and garlic in some olive oil on medium high heat until translucent. Add remaining vegetables and bay leaf. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Alow vegetables to wilt a bit. Add soy crumbles and remaining spices and cover. When crumbles are soft, add soy milk, conrstarch, yeast, and flour. Mix well and allow to boil. Prepare an 8 x 8 baking dish. Spoon vegetable filling into dish and flaten. Do the same with potatos. Sprinkle some oregano and thyme on top. Broil for 4 minutes. Stuff face.


4 comments:

  1. ultimate comfort food awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shepard's pie sounds really good right now...too bad i have no desire to cook this time of year =( it gets so hot in the south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fully understand. I'm in WV, and have an apartment with AC I have no control over. and, oh, the humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that I'm linking you now cause I love your posts. I look forward to reading more in the future!

    ReplyDelete